John L. Hackett, Jr.’s practice primarily includes the representation of banks, governmental and institutional lenders, and other commercial lenders in connection with the negotiation, closing, administration, and work-out of commercial and commercial real estate loan arrangements.
He also represents closely-held business private or closely-held businesses with respect to entity formation, financing and capitalization issues, matters of entity governance, and general business issues.
John’s commercial lending experience ranges from smaller loan transactions, including government guaranteed or supported financings to sophisticated multi-borrower and multi-lender transactions involving both typical and unusual collateral in Massachusetts, and other domestic and foreign jurisdictions. He assists commercial lenders in structuring, negotiating, and closing complex participation, co-lender and intercreditor agreements. John also works with creditors in asserting and exercising their rights and remedies under financing arrangements including foreclosure and disposition of collateral, and negotiation and documentation of forbearance, restructuring and settlement agreements.
John also frequently represents privately owned businesses in debt and/or equity financings and other business transactions, including both sales and acquisitions of businesses.
John lives with his wife in North Attleborough, Massachusetts.
- L.L.M. Taxation, cum laude, Boston University Law School, 1987
- J.D., cum laude, Suffolk University Law School, 1980
- B.A., cum laude, journalism/literature, University of Massachusetts, 1973
- Turnaround Management Association
- Secured Finance Network, New England Chapter, Inc.
- John has co-authored and/or contributed to a number of the Why Do We Care series of articles appearing on the Hackett Feinberg website.
- John is a regular presenter at Hackett Feinberg’s Defensive banking 101 seminars/training sessions
- John has frequently been a presenter or panelist on trade association programs relating to financing, business succession and other issues
- John has also designed and presented programs for the firm’s commercial lending clients on current issues in commercial lending
- John has been named a Massachusetts and/or New England “Super Lawyer” on numerous occasions. He has a Martindale-Hubbell “AV” rating and a 5.0 out of 5.0